Tuesday, June 12, 2012

12 Things I Love About the Galaxy S3

I recently bought a Galaxy S3 after owning a Galaxy Nexus and an iPhone. After deciding between the S3 and the Lumia 900, I'm convinced that the S3 is the best phone available as of today.



HERE ARE 12 REASONS WHY:

1. Off the bat, it's the speed. The quad-core just does wonders. Think about it, this phone is more powerful that probably 70% of the world's laptops right now.

2. ICS all the way. True multitasking, resizable widgets, flexibility, control. Apple and Nokia are miles away from having all these freedoms.



3. Surprisingly, the screen is just the right size. Perhaps it's because I got used to the Nexus and my other phone prior was an Xperia Arc. I'm sure people with Galaxy Notes will say that their screens are just the right size as well, but given all the biases, I think the screen is just right.



Tip: When you're moving from small screens to these big screens, it's important to realize that you have to change how you hold the phone. Instead of cupping the phone with your whole palm with fingers wrapping over the edge, your fingers just have to be at the back of these bigger phones.

When you realize the change, navigation becomes easy and you'll wonder why you kept up with such small phones in the past.

4. All the "natural" motion sensors. The front facing camera looks at your eyes to stop the phone from dimming the backlight. You can unlock the screen using face unlock, by using your voice, or by moving the phone around a certain way. You can launch the camera from standby by touching the screen and holding the phone as if you were going to take a picture. You're reading a text, put the phone to your ear and it starts calling that contact.

Needless to say, the gyroscope is used to full effect. I haven't seen a phone maximize movements so much. It actually makes sense to me now why Samsung used their human nature theme.



The gestures make sense! I never really fully appreciated the reviews until I got to use it for myself. Now, I'm a fan. I hope all future phones act this way.

5. Improved TouchWiz launcher. Coming from a purely native Nexus, I wasn't such a big fan of the TouchWiz when I started using it. My ex had an S3 and I wasn't really impressed with how the whole thing worked.

That is until I decided to just overhaul all the preset widgets. I removed everything, put in my folders, and all of a sudden, it just made sense.

I hate that I can't move the apps/trash button though. I would really rather have that in the middle much like the Nexus.

Plus points to the fact that when you reach the right or leftmost screen, it goes back to the first one. Also, when you're moving around icons on the launcher, you can actually tilt the phone to the left or right and the screens automatically move to the direction you want to go. Pretty neat.

6. Hold menu for Google search. I was looking for the omnipresent Google search bar at the top of the launcher, but I realized that if I just hold the menu button for more than a second the search dialogue appears. Now I have more room for my widgets!

7. S-Voice. It's a pretty noble effort and having been disappointed with Siri, I would say that it's at the minimum at par. I haven't really fully explored S-Voice yet, but just the fact that it tries to constantly learn how I talk is a big thing already for me.

8. Flipboard and apps. Being a former iphone user, I hated the fact that there was no Flipboard for Android. Actually, the fact that there was no Flipboard, Temple Run, and Instagram. Well folks, they're all on Android already. I think those three are the last breed of relevant apps that are iOS-centric. Certainly, software developers can not deny that there are now more users of Android than iOS.

In a year or so, there will probably be more Android apps than iOS apps already.



9. Functional standby screen. So Apple wanted to sue Google for slide to unlock? Well, the S3 certainly kicks that argument in the ass by coming up with something much better than that ancient movement.

From the standby screen, you can view time, weather, news, stocks, notes so you won't even need to open your phone. PLUS, you can pick up to 4 apps that you can launch from the standby screen by simply swiping their icons on the screen. AND, if you have messages or notifications that are pending, they appear as bubbles on the standby screen so you can simply swipe them and go to those notifications immediately.




10. It comes in blue or white. The important thing here is that it isn't black. That already says a lot about how Samsung is moving forward. Apple made a killing with their white gadgets. Why would people let go of their old phones just to get a white version? Beats me, but that's what the consumer wants.

I don't understand why it took manufacturers such a long time to realize that black was just plain dull. Safe is not good enough anymore.



11. The screen is beautiful; the sound is great. This is a great improvement from the S2 and the Nexus which sounded like it had mono speakers. Well, the S3 does still have only one speaker, but sound quality and volume is so much better now.

12. Quick controls are available from the notifications bar. All of us Android folk are used to having power buttons that control wifi, brightness, bluetooth, etc on our widget walls. The S3 has put them all on the topmost part of the notifications. It makes sense, it saves on screen real estate, and it makes you wonder why no one thought of that before.




A note about iOS 6: Please also understand that I am writing this as someone who already was using ICS. If I decide to compare this with iOS 6, there would be more to write about (and that's another article). 

Most of the improvements you see in iOS 6 are actually available in Android as additional apps. That feature is still missing in the iOS world. 

To be fair, Google and Samsung have also been getting ideas from these add-on apps and integrating them into the core OS. That may be unfair to the developers, but it's a win for the consumers in the end.


I must say that I'm really just nitpicking at this point, but for the sake of objectivity, here are some points for improvement on the S3:

1. Style wise, the silver bezel makes it look a little less modern and gives an 80s design vibe to the aesthetics.

2. Being a former Galaxy Nexus user, I'm convinced there is no need for a physical button on the face of the phone. I'm pretty sure the S4 won't have any buttons anymore.

I'm sure all the iphone users with that floating white orb on their screens will agree with this point as well.

3. The LED is too big. I love its functionality, but the light blends through the plastic and it makes the phone look a little cheap. Yes, it's great design that the light seeps through the plastic, that there is no physical LED light visible when the light is off, but it could have been executed better.

4. This is really an ICS issue, but we want to see a launcher that will work in landscape mode already. Hopefully, it will be available with the release of Jelly Bean.

5. The keyboard and the messaging app suck big time. The native ICS keyboard and messaging apps were good enough, I don't know why Samsung had to make their own versions.

Fortunately, as I've mentioned, it's easy to replace those in the Google ecosystem. I recommend using SwiftKey and Handcent SMS as alternatives.


All in all, this is the best phone I've ever held in my hands. I'm happy with my buy. And even if distribution in my home market sucks (I'm talking to you Samsung) I'll gladly be an ambassador for this phone.

As of posting, this is the best phone in circulation anywhere in the world and it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.



No comments: