Sunday, July 04, 2010

New Music Weekend (favorite albums)


This week, I'm going with 2 of my current favorite albums.

First we have The Bird and The Bee's Interpreting the Masters Vol. 1 - A Tribute to Daryll Hall & John Oates.

This album is just great. Combine The Bird and The Bee's mild synthpop, mellow vocals, and classic Hall & Oates songs and you get an album that will definitely get you into the groove.

Best tracks for me are I Can't Go For That, Kiss Is On My List, One On One, and Maneater. I'm sure you know all those songs, and you probably like them, but The Bird And The Bee bring a different feel to it. They don't change it out too much, but they apply their style to the classics very effectively.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Here's a clip from The Bird And The Bee's guest appearance on Ellen:


Next is the Original Motion Picture Soundtrack of Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist.

I know nothing about indie music. I just like it. That's what was first apparent to me when I got a copy of this album. Of the 15 artists in this compilation, I only knew 2.

I loved the movie, but it took an HBO screening to make me wonder why I never got the album. So I did, and I was really impressed.

Of the 15 tracks in the album, I loved 13 of them.

It's hard to pick a favorite track, but notable are The Real Tuesday Weld's Last Words, Vampire Weekend with Ottoman, Riot Radio by The Dead 60's, Fever by Takka Takka, Xavia by The Submarines, and Paul Tiernan's How To Say Goodbye. Again, it's really hard to pick a favorite track.

Here's a sample of one of my favorite tracks, The Real Tuesday Weld with Last Words:


It's a very laid back album that sounds very indie. Indie is now a genre right? If you can remember filler scenes from the movie where they show New York at 4 in the morning, the album feels like that.

Again, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.


No comments: