Saturday, June 26, 2010

New Music Weekend

First we have The Drums with Forever and Ever, Amen. Love the video, it has a deconstructed 90's feel to it.

The video reminds me of Razorlight's In The Morning and The Virgins' Rich Girls. Perhaps it's that dirty effect. I love this sound though.


Next is Ellie Goulding with Guns & Horses. She's Brit and kind of reminds me of Imogen Heap, but with a softer voice. I like her. Just got her album after hearing some of her tracks. Other notable tracks form her 2010 album Lights include Starry Eyed and Wish I Stayed.


I have to admit, the blonde hair and dark eyeshadow got me at first, but it's a pretty decent song. Make Me Wanna Die by The Pretty Reckless. A bit whiny though, but the skin makes up for it. Wait, did I say skin, I meant to say angst. Well, Taylor Momsen's looks certainly helps sell this single.

*update* I've only seen part of the first season of Gossip Girl and it has been brought to my attention that this is Jenny Humphrey. Wow. First Leighton, now Taylor. That officially brings up her stock for me.

Is that insulting as an artist? If you're vintage Jewel, I think it can be insulting. But if you wear tight leather and short skirts, I think you're also okay with 'marketing' yourself.

Her voice is surprisingly husky, which is great. Gives her music a 70's female rock vibe. Janis Joplin and The Runaways come to mind (well, without the shouting). That's actually pretty amusing cause I'm pretty sure Taylor was born in the 90's.


Actually, to be fair, I'm not writing her off as just eye candy. There's a very simple test to rule this out. If I like it just on my ipod, then it's good. There's more musicality than theatricality.


1 comment:

The Diplomatic Wife said...

I was pleasantly surprised by Taylor Momsen. I knew she was in a band because she is gonna take some time off to tour in next season's GG. But I didn't realize she had this great voice. I like the song. Will have to get it on my iPod! Thanks!